NextGenRoms

Words We Hear in JRPGs/Anime... A LOT!

Ravenstorm

TANOSHII

When a person is having fun or is about to have fun or enjoying themselves, I often hear them exclaiming "TANOSHII!". It's important to sound out both of those I's!

Spoiler

So now you know when you hear "TANOSHII" they are either having fun or asking someone if they are having fun, if it ends with "desu yo?".

So now you know how to understand the meaning of HAVING FUN / ENJOYMENT in Japanese! Tanoshii~ Tanoshii~

(Of course there is various ways to say it in speech, but this is just a basic discussion. Feel free to get more detailed!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fixagel said:

Is this word similar to kimochi ? xD 

Maybe in some cases, but mostly no. Kimochi literally just means "emotion" or "feeling", like how you might hear "kimochi warui" (feeling sick/bad/disgusted) a lot in shows, which literally means "bad feeling". However, you might here it with a stretch on the last i, usually said by females. This one isn't the same word, since a the end there is the "ii" which means good. This word means feeling good, or to describe oneself feeling good. Therefore, if you were to type this word in Romaji it'd be Kimochiii, hence the stretch.

• Like 1

Yeah kimochii is a feeling of physical pleasure, like it "feels good". Soaking in a hot tub after a hard day's work, getting a foot massage, scratching a bad itch etc. I've heard any gender say a lot though.

The opposite of kimochii would be "itai" meaning, OUCH, pain!, it hurts!, etc.

Tanoshii is like you have having fun and excited, an enjoyable experience.

• Like 1