NextGenRoms

[request] searching for zx spectrum rom collections. do they exist?

Clampuson

Does the ZX Spectrum community maintain any curated/sorted ROM packs? Something like the Everdrive Packs but for the Spectrum?

I know there are community-made game game collections for several other retro computers (CoCoSDC pack for the CoCo 2 & 3, OneLoad for C64,  WHDLoad for Amiga) but I haven't seen any for ZX Spectrum. I can find complete archival-style collections (like TOSEC) but those rarely include cracked versions, and they tend to include several copies of each game, which can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie😅

That’s true, but almost every major computer and console has at least one community-curated rompack, and a lot of them have several. I've contributed to quite a few of them over the years. They are often the best way to jump into a new computer/console because they're easier to browse than a complete set, so they're valuable even when they're incomplete.

If the Spectrum doesn't have any projects like this yet, I'll start doing research and compiling roms to see if I can help change that. I’ll also update this thread if I find any myself. It can't hurt to try. :)

Edited by Clampuson

• 8 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 8:17 AM, Clampuson said:

That’s true, but almost every major computer and console has at least one community-curated rompack, and a lot of them have several. I've contributed to quite a few of them over the years. They are often the best way to jump into a new computer/console because they're easier to browse than a complete set, so they're valuable even when they're incomplete.

If the Spectrum doesn't have any projects like this yet, I'll start doing research and compiling roms to see if I can help change that. I’ll also update this thread if I find any myself. It can't hurt to try. :)

Did you end up finding anything?

On 3/19/2023 at 5:17 PM, Clampuson said:

Maybe you could start with TOSEC set (TZX I guess?), strip out what isn't needed and add any stuff that is missing?

• 2 weeks later...

That's way to little to small, the Zx is between 15k and 20k Games.

I shoud have the best possible Zx Collection, the only problem is that I'm picky and prefer .TAP over everything else, what are you lokking for, just normal games bulk? I have not filtered that in some years but it about 16,167 Files all tested and running.

Them I have a filtered base from 1992 until today missing roms are noted in a notepad file inside folders..

Edited by Imotus.san