NextGenRoms

Life on Mars [SRAM fix]

On 1/20/2023 at 9:05 AM, deadlegion said:

screens.jpg.3c70531b5211a20c65623e9ca1ec4789.jpg

Found this elsewhere, I haven't tested it myself yet.

Here's a copy of the uploader's info:

Archive type: 7-zip

File type: .smd

Download:

Hidden Content

• Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Please remove this download link, this illegal rom will totally destroy us as developers.

Please support the developers if you wish to see more new games for your favorite platforms.

• Like 14
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Kai Magazine Software said:

Please remove this download link, this illegal rom will totally destroy us as developers.

Please support the developers if you wish to see more new games for your favorite platforms.

Even if I do remove it, the rom still exists at the place I got it from.

I didn't dump the cart.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

I didn't notice the conversation.

As we all know, sharing roms ruined older companies so bad they made a string of minis, collections on Steam and modern consoles, and sequels some 30 years later, and, of course, my sharing TCK ruined Broke Studios so bad they've already announced their sequel to TCK.

What mini console would exist if not for freely traded roms? Would Sega have made SOR4 if SOR2 wasn't shown to generation after generation? 

If anything we give the market life. No one would have any interest in Genesis if we didn't keep Genesis alive, duh. People say we don't care about sharing old stuff because it's dead. Son, if we didn't share old stuff your new stuff would have no market. It's not dead. SOR2 and everything else on Sega's MD/Gen Classics on Steam, Switch, Xbox, and Playstation did what? Made money? Fancy that, roms that have been freely traded for decades still sell.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, GatorCountry said:

I didn't notice the conversation.

As we all know, sharing roms ruined older companies so bad they made a string of minis, collections on Steam and modern consoles, and sequels some 30 years later, and, of course, my sharing TCK ruined Broke Studios so bad they've already announced their sequel to TCK.

What mini console would exist if not for freely traded roms? Would Sega have made SOR4 if SOR2 wasn't shown to generation after generation? 

If anything we give the market life. No one would have any interest in Genesis if we didn't keep Genesis alive, duh. People say we don't care about sharing old stuff because it's dead. Son, if we didn't share old stuff your new stuff would have no market. It's not dead. SOR2 and everything else on Sega's MD/Gen Classics on Steam, Switch, Xbox, and Playstation did what? Made money? Fancy that, roms that have been freely traded for decades still sell.

Our game "Life on Mars" was released 36 days ago. Sales almost stopped since this hacked rom was created.

What you are saying has absolutelly nothing to do with us, but with games from the 90's, plus we are not a huge company like Sega or others, we don't sell hundreds of thousands of units of a game, we just sell over one thousand if lucky.

We are a very small indie developer team. We can't survive this.

We need to recuperate enough money so we can stay afloat long enough to develop the next game, otherwise we need to close.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Kai Magazine Software said:

Our game "Life on Mars" was released 36 days ago. Sales almost stopped since this hacked rom was created.

What you are saying has absolutelly nothing to do with us, but with games from the 90's, plus we are not a huge company like Sega or others, we don't sell hundreds of thousands of units of a game, we just sell over one thousand if lucky.

We are a very small indie developer team. We can't survive this.

We need to recuperate enough money so we can stay afloat long enough to develop the next game, otherwise we need to close.

I don't think you understood my point.

You have a market to sell to because of piracy, but when piracy affects you negatively you expect to be treated specially because you're small or new or both. You're not selling BetaMax bud. This market has thrived for decades because of people like us and if you fold it's no skin off my tits, someone else will download the SGDK and make another game because of their interest in a console we keep alive.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GatorCountry said:

I don't think you understood my point.

You have a market to sell to because of piracy, but when piracy affects you negatively you expect to be treated specially because you're small or new or both. You're not selling BetaMax bud. This market has thrived for decades because of people like us and if you fold it's no skin off my tits, someone else will download the SGDK and make another game because of their interest in a console we keep alive.

WOW!

You really don't care in the slightest if you harm us or destroy us.

You actually think you keep the console alive by destroying the few developers who try and actually keep it alive with new games...

I see we have VERY different ethics and morals and there is no point trying to reason with you or to appeal to any empathy.

At least I tried. Enjoy the clicks and the traffic to this site by hurting us without any remorse. Whatever this site generates for you is more important.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Kai Magazine Software said:

WOW!

You actually think you keep the console alive by destroying the few developers who try and actually keep it alive with new games...

I see we have VERY different ethics and morals and there is no point trying to reason with you or to appeal to any empathy.

At least I tried. Enjoy the clicks and the traffic to this site by hurting us without any remorse. Whatever this site generates for you is more important.  

Nothing, I get absolutely nothing out of it. Bit of joy helping out my broke brothers in impoverished nations but that's it.

Probably should have withheld this comment until after mine above. I guess we were typing about the same time. I'll tell ya bud, that's not how you get what you want. indignation will only motivate me to spread your work more. Ask other Gen devs, The Dread Pirate Gator is infamous. Staying calm and speaking with aplomb was working. You should apologize for that outburst. I've not been rude.

Yes, we do. You expect special treatment and I am egalitarian.  What's good for the base that keeps generation after generation interested is certainly good for those looking to cash in on that interest.

Tell you what, do something for impoverished states and not only will I remove this, I will track and police your games in general, any future release as well.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GatorCountry said:

Nothing, I get absolutely nothing out of it. Bit of joy helping out my broke brothers in impoverished nations but that's it.

Probably should have withheld this comment until after mine above. I guess we were typing about the same time. I'll tell ya bud, that's not how you get what you want. indignation will only motivate me to spread your work more. Ask other Gen devs, The Dread Pirate Gator is infamous. Staying calm and speaking with aplomb was working. You should apologize for that outburst. I've not been rude.

Yes, we do. You expect special treatment and I am egalitarian.  What's good for the base that keeps generation after generation interested is certainly good for those looking to cash in on that interest.

Tell you what, do something for impoverished states and not only will I remove this, I will track and police your games in general, any future release as well.

This is an absolute GEM of a comment thank you Gator, first I don't trust the supposed owner guy account... He's probably a teenage troll. And if by any chance he's legit... there's no way in hell he's making sense, the RETAIL HOMEBREW market is MINUSCULE Usa only, what are the distribution channels for other parts of the world? How can anyone not living in USA buy a copy at a reasonable price form them?? ZERO, no chance. It's elitism and if the guy thinks the game will be the next fad or something he should take a nice cup or reality and deal with the fact that it's something that will ALWAYS HAPPEN! At least their work would get recognized much more than if he sales 233 copies of the game usa only. You'll never lose sales as there is a market of people that will buy the game. But for the other MILLIONS of people out there that simply cannot, let them enjoy your work. And If you're only in this for the money.... Sell yourself out to EA or something! 

Peace.

Edited by tommyclumsy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Kai Magazine Software said:

WOW!

I have never made any money from games (and other things) that I have shared on any site. Ever.

I don't feel guilty about helping people that enjoy games but have hardly any money. The people that do have spare cash, in a lot of cases they might grab something like this to try it out and then buy your product if they really like it.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kai Magazine Software said:

WOW!

Please release ROM only download for a smaller fee, perhaps 10-15 £$ etc and people will buy it from you.  As the digital rom playing market (via modded minis / Pi / Mister systems) is a different market to carts and people will buy and support you digitally, perhaps 1-3 months after the cart release.   

People who may download the rom from this site, would have no intention of buying a cartridge, its a different marketplace.  Its a lovely game btw. 

Edited by Edster
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, tommyclumsy said:

This is an absolute GEM of a comment thank you Gator, first I don't trust the supposed owner guy account... He's probably a teenage troll. And if by any chance he's legit... there's no way in hell he's making sense, the RETAIL HOMEBREW market is MINUSCULE Usa only, what are the distribution channels for other parts of the world? How can anyone not living in USA buy a copy at a reasonable price form them?? ZERO, no chance. It's elitism and if the guy thinks the game will be the next fad or something he should take a nice cup or reality and deal with the fact that it's something that will ALWAYS HAPPEN! At least their work would get recognized much more than if he sales 233 copies of the game usa only. You'll never lose sales as there is a market of people that will buy the game. But for the other MILLIONS of people out there that simply cannot, let them enjoy your work. And If you're only in this for the money.... Sold yourself out to EA or something! 

Peace.

I appreciate you saying that. I've been speaking with people in other communities and they had me questioning things but when I saw this guy's entitlement it reminded me.

Funny you say elitism, that's exactly what I called it elsewhere. Not just elitism, it's hypocritical. Like I said, it's not games like this that keep generations interested in the gen library. It's SOR2, Sonic, NBA Jam, etc. The games no one seems to have a problem pirating. When the subject is an older title, that is still being sold in the form of minis and collections on PC and modern consoles, then all their high and mighty holier than thou pontification goes out the window.

I will keep communication with people who feel differently if they want to chat about it but at the moment I am feeling like it is elitism. I used the term egalitarian a few times, I don't think they know what it means. 

Anyway, my only point here is this argument is bigger than this thread and I appreciate the support. I know there's some lurkers reading who are absolutely fuming over it. They could get off our forum but then they wouldn't get that sense of superiority would they?

I have half a mind to make a Dreamcast port.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, Kai Magazine Software said:

The arrogance of these people.

Yes, it is homebrew/indie keeping the console alive. 🙄 Not the fantastic library of retail games that are still vastly more popular.

I'd wager Sonic alone is more popular than all the indies combined. It was just recreated in the form of Sonic Origins, but there's no moral qualm downloading and sharing the rom. 

Do these clowns really believe people find out about Life of Mars and then gain an interest in Sonic The Hedgehog? 

Nothing to do with riding Sonic's coattails. No friends, it is Indie keeping Sonic alive not Sonic giving Indie a market. 

23 hours ago, GatorCountry said:

Not the first time I have made this offer.

Not the first time that's where the conversation ends either.

They're not elitists cashing in on a market maintained by the free sharing of digital goods. They just happen to go silent when asked about places there is no market because there is no dosh. Coincidentally and shit.

It's for the love of the console, as long as you got money. It's to keep the console alive, as long as you got cash. We're too poor to be stolen from, but don't have any sympathy for the poor.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• deadlegion changed the title to Life on Mars [SRAM fix]