NextGenRoms

High Scores

GatorCountry

How about a bit of a contest?

Post your high scores here and if someone else wants to have a go at you they will do the same.

We will use the honor system and proof of score will be any means; screenshots, videos, a scanned polaroid, whatever you got. 

Any game, any proof of score, whatever you like. It's for fun so let's not take this too seriously. I know I won't.

I will start us off:

Rodland - Atari ST Dreamcast Port - Score 328,950:

image.png.2ed214fddb9ce5e645975680ba7b5359.png

Simple enough right?

I don't think you guys need to follow my format to participate, just prove a score and I'll count it.

I figured it might be fun to be a little bit competitive. I'm not a great gamer so it shouldn't be hard to beat me in any game I post up and I think I might be a good starting point. Decent score youse can probably beat and then once a few folks have posted I will make a ladder. I realize that Rodland score is a big number but I promise it's not hard to beat. I can beat it, it's a very casual playthrough. I wasn't setting a score, I was just playing and when I beat it I got the idea to have NGR ladders.

I'll be adding a few more scores myself by-n-by but you don't have to wait on me to kick off a game. If you've a sweet Mega Man score or some such you've held on to for years waiting to show it off go for it.

Let's put participation at a five user minimum before a ladder is made. If five scores in any one game from five different members is posted I will make a ladder. No maximum cap of course.

Finally, yes I realize this is very open to cheating. One could use codes, or just photoshop a screenshot. I don't think it will be an issue as there's no prize or anything. Top spot in a ladder is the only reward. That said, if it becomes an issue there's a few solutions. We could always make the proof of score a bit harder to fake, one could cheat back, I could take myself out of the contest and become a judge, or we can just can the whole thing and shame the dirty cheaterson for ruining our high scores game. I doubt it'll be a problem though.

Alright, now post me some scores.

• Like 3

Oh damn, I had set a 159800 on GnG but when I went to post it I saw that mine says practice and yours does not. That's a difficulty setting isn't it?

I'll go ahead and post the easy mode score for anyone who wants a go on easy mode and see what I can do under the harder mode. I didn't realize GnG had modes, I never noticed the practice before. I'm going to assume, if there's more than just easy-hard, yours is the hardest mode.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Genesis - 159800

image.png.795546528573bc9e9ccb304d45f804b2.png

ZxRO is a beast, :lol: I struggle with the practice mode!

• Haha 1

@GatorCountry I was playing GnG on Professional Mode, the game is set to Practice Mode. 

The PC-Engine GnG is the hardest version because you only get 3 continues, the bosses take alot more damage and the checkpoints are worse. The Genesis is the easier version even on Perfessional Mode thanks to the unlimited continues, the bosses taking less damage and there are more checkpoints in each stage.

My screenshots aren't necessarily my best high scores, it's actually my best playthrough of the games I've beat.  I keep screenshot of games I've beat Deathless or 1CC, so people can definitely beat my high scores.

Edited by ZxRO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ZxRO said:

Ghouls'n Ghosts - Sega Genesis - 1CC High Score 163000

Ghouls'n Ghosts (SG) - 2nd Loop Final Ending [No Continues Used] (USA, Europe)-221216-103836.png

Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Professional Mode - Genesis - Deathless - 185000

image.png.8a26beef9660933ad3cb2fc45b69a522.png

Took me all day but I got there. I ran most of the game just trying to not get hit but there at the final stage I farmed the crap out of every enemy I could handle.

Still a very beatable score, a good enough player could farm the crap out of every level and might even double that score. I started the final level in the 150sK and knew if I had any hope of beating 163K I needed to do some farming.

No codes, no savestates, just pushing to be better.

• Like 1

@GatorCountry Great Job on GnG! I don't get why you say you are not a good gamer, because GnG is consider a very difficult game and you ended up beating it deathless! There's not many people that can learn the game in just one day or in less than a day like you did, and beat it deathless with out cheating, you must be a god gamer. I've tried so many times to beat it deathless and always fail, you are a better gamer than me, Congrats Gator. 👍

Edited by ZxRO

11 hours ago, ZxRO said:

@GatorCountry Great Job on GnG! I don't get why you say you are not a good gamer, because GnG is consider a very difficult game and you ended up beating it deathless! There's not many people that can learn the game in just one day or in less than a day like you did, and beat it deathless with out cheating, you must be a god gamer. I've tried so many times to beat it deathless and always fail, you are a better gamer than me, Congrats Gator. 👍

:lol: I used to think I was pretty good. I can absolutely murder some on-line smash bros gaming, I set scores in Resident Evil 4's Mercenaries Mode that are pretty comparable to leaderboards last I looked, and I have a hell of a Jet Grind Radio score on my VMU, but then Beast420 uploaded that Age of Wily for NES game and I was straight up humbled by his run through video. I should probably grab that and add it here. He beat that game like it was nothing and my ass was savestating and still struggling to make it through. 

Also GnG on Genesis was a cherrypick. I've been playing that game since I was like 7 or some such. Casually, but still, I have it more of less memorized. The PCE version I doubt I could pull off so well. I try the SNES every now and then and I'm not great there. Superman I've never beaten. Same for Battletoads and Contra, never actually beat them.

• Like 1

@GatorCountry Yea, it didn't make sense to me that someone new to GnG could beat the game Deathless in less than a day. I thought that you were new to GnG because you didn't even realise that it has a Professional Mode, and thats the only way to beat the game LOL

Edited by ZxRO

27 minutes ago, ZxRO said:

@GatorCountry Yea, it didn't make sense to me that someone new to GnG could beat the game Deathless in less than a day. I thought that you were new to GnG because you didn't even realise that it has a Professional Mode, and that the only way to beat the game LOL

:lol: That's fair. Not new, I just never looked in the options screen. To be honest, the pro mode's not that much harder. There's more enemies but that's all I noticed. I expected it to be insane because the practice mode isn't exactly easy, imo

The bug bosses are hell either way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Ravenstorm said:

Ahh..none of the games I play have scores. Well maybe Overwatch? But those are mostly just healing or damage stats haha. Maybe we could just decide on a game we could play and show our scores. Doubt I'd do any good, but it would be fun haha

I get that. I been playing Pokemon and that's hardly a scored game. If I got a shiny I'd post it anyway :lol: Even a savestated shiny is braggable imo

I had thought leaving it open-ended would get more player support. That way I'm not telling you "Youse play this game haroo". 

That said, that was just my instincts on how to get people behind the idea. If you think more leadership is in order then Super Mario Bros. Original, on NES. High score, not speedrun.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MobCat said:

I dident know we had a high section, this is a cool idea :amazingvani:
Ima spice it up a little. here is my current high score for chrome://dino/
image.png
Also I'm still currently world number one (only by a little bit lol) on Carve for insignia

This is the hidden content, please

image.png

Oh double kudos for this!

Thanks for contributing, but also, I did not know about insignia. I might be fixing to need to hook up my XBox. 

• Like 2

MORE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INSIGNIA :amazingvani:

This is the hidden content, please

If you need any help setting it up or getting games for it let me know.
Already posted a few games that should and do work fine with it. But gotta get around to updating all my xbox games... gotta do adult things, and other admin stuff first...
Maybe I should make an insignia sticky in the xbox section for people to talk and get help with it 🤔
The main insignia discord don't really like talking about piracy for sorta obvious reasons, so we can discuss that here.

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros. - NES - Deathless - 554,200

image.png.4781b28a510900993c43b37aed7c2321.png

I missed plenty and I'm not super fast so should be beatable by a serious Mario fan.

I got a 2000 flag on 6-3 and 8-2 but all the rest were 5ks. I killed every King Koopa counterfeit for those 5ks as well.

Missed heaps of coins, enemies, and flowers. 

I did not take any warps. I don't care if someone else does but I think you'll get a lower score. I don't know for sure but I think what you want to do is get though the level as quickly as possible while picking up as many coins, flowers, and kills as you can along the way. Likewise, I don't know if you get the 5k points if you jump over King Koopa clones and hit the axe straight away. I think you miss the 5k so I killed them fools.

I did go untouched though, no damage taken the entire run. ...yeah dude :lol:

• Like 2