NextGenRoms

Genesis on GDEmu

Howdy all

I need some help with GDEmu I am hoping one of youse can answer.

Recently I've been asked how to load my Genesis ports on GDEmu. Problem is I do not have a GDEmu, Mode, or Dreamshell so I don't know how that's done. I'm still burning games with dummy files the old plebian way. I can only confirm the games work on a real Dreamcast but I can't offer any help to players using those GD-Rom replacement gadgets.

Please describe here what y'all do to play these games or if you too are struggling tell me about it. Since I hardly ever get any negative feedback I have assumed all my ports work with GDEmu and the like. Most players these days serious about having a fat collection are GDEmu players which is why I upload mostly dummy-less files. 

On that note, if you're a burner like me just let me know. I don't include dummy files at the moment because no one, and I mean absolutely no one ever, has asked me for them. Dummy files increase my upload time from almost instant to 15-20 mins. It's not a huge big deal for me to upload them but since no one is asking I'm not wasting my time.

Please help your fellow collectors and explain as best you can the Genese/MegaDrive on Dreamcast GDEmu process. It'd mean quite a bit to quite a few of our members.

Cheers buds.

I have been looking at emulators on the dreamcast recently and the one i use is called gens4good version 4.3 its awesome. Im not tech savvy so im afraid i dont know the process of how to add games to it or anything, i just downloaded a cdi thats already got a mass amount of games on it. Highly recommended if anyone wants to play genesis/megadrive on their dreamcasts 

1 hour ago, Punx2511 said:

I have been looking at emulators on the dreamcast recently and the one i use is called gens4good version 4.3 its awesome. Im not tech savvy so im afraid i dont know the process of how to add games to it or anything, i just downloaded a cdi thats already got a mass amount of games on it. Highly recommended if anyone wants to play genesis/megadrive on their dreamcasts 

I can teach you how to add games if you like.

How do you load the cdi? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Punx2511 said:

Oh ok so i use a program called soniks GDEMU card manager. Its really simple to use, it creates a gdmenu on ur card and u can add, take off and rename cdi and gdi files. One thing to note is memory cards have to be formatted FAT32 

Thank you so, so much! This is very useful information! I will pass it to the parties who contact me for help. I do not have gdemu so I was unable to troubleshoot for them.

If you would like help with games curation and creating your own cdi's of genesis, amiga, nes, zx spectrum, or gameboy and gameboy color, I am happy to provide the tools and instructions to you. Unfortunately it's quite impossible to make a living cdi, I mean there is no adding or taking out games on an already curated cdi. All you can do is create a new cdi that better suits your needs. 

On that end, I can not give away all of my gimmicks. Not because I an unwilling, I am willing, it's just that I am on my brother's PC for dev stuff (he collects the tools) and he's recently switched from win7 to win10 and I do not know how to do everything in win10. Specifically the MR logos. I would love to teach you how to label your work in a way others can not steal credit, or rather, it's not easy to anyway, but until I master it on win10 I can only use what I have made in 7. MR logos, if you don't know, are my avatar when your games are booting. I tag all of my creations with a seal of quality on the cover art, which is easily discarded by credit thieves, and an MR on the boot screen after the swirl bios. Which is not so easily modified. 

Anyway, let me know if you want to make your own genesis compilations or ports. It's not extremely hard and doesn't require prior coding knowledge to understand.

No worries if u want any more info or detailed pics on how to use the card maker i could fire the laptop up and go through the process.

Yeah I wouldnt mind learning stuff like that to be honest,is that what "plain files" are for? Ive heard the term alot on forums and always wondered what the score is with that? recently ive been wondering about dreambor aswell and how difficult it would be to make a game on that. Have u ever made a game before? 

7 minutes ago, Punx2511 said:

No worries if u want any more info or detailed pics on how to use the card maker i could fire the laptop up and go through the process.

Yeah I wouldnt mind learning stuff like that to be honest,is that what "plain files" are for? Ive heard the term alot on forums and always wondered what the score is with that? recently ive been wondering about dreambor aswell and how difficult it would be to make a game on that. Have u ever made a game before? 

Cheers bud, if you think folks will appreciate you taking the time for pictures go for it. I suggest making a separate tutorial thread if you're going to go through the trouble of having visuals.  I would even try to get MobCat to sticky it for you. Would definitely be useful.

Plain files are the files used before compression. CDI is just Padus DiscJuggler's file compression for making a CD into one file without losing any content. Plain files are before the cdi is created. So no tools or anything like that, just the game files before the game is finalized.

Only very, very short BOR games that prove I can make a game. Mostly I optimize and modify existing games to run or run better on Dreamcast. If you're interested in PC development OpenBOR is fantastic and allows devs to be pretty lazy, but if you want what you make to work on Dreamcast it's a lot more work. I'll give an example. On PC your background can be one continuous image that has all the features you want where you want done visually. So say you're doing a mountain range with a grass bottom. On PC you just make the image how you want it to look in a paint program like photoshop or gimp. On Dreamcast you make just one of everything you'll need, so one image for grass and another for a mountain and to get the continuous mountain range with a grassy bottom you tell BOR in code every X,Y,Z coordinate you want the grass and mountain to appear on and what is layered over what. To save the most space you'd make just a half a mountain, mirror it for the other half, and continue that sequence down the length of your level. Which is why I only make very short games.

So it kind of depends on you how difficult you make it be and much coding knowledge you need to bring to the table to accomplish your goals. PC games are not hard, for game creation standards, but DC games are a pain in the butt in my opinion.

All of the "easy" game creation kits these days claim it's so easy you don't need any coding knowledge but that's really not true. You won't get very far without some level of coding knowledge with OpenBOR, OpenSurge, Titan IDE, NESMaker, or GBStudio. Of them I think GBStudio is probably the easiest and can have the best sound. It's visuals are gameboy / color though....so...not the best looker. The others are pretty simple but to even get a working stage you will need to learn some coding while GBStudio you could probably crank out a demo just with drag and drop.

These guys who make these things and their fanboys who have a good acclimation to them lose sight of what it's like to know nothing so they label and agree their creation kit requires no knowledge to learn, but then pretty dang immediately they will direct you to a tutorial filled with coding information and how to code. I'm not trying to be mean to them, they definitely make creating a game much easier and require much, much, much less coding knowledge, but you're going to learn to code to complete a project in any of them. The no coding game creation kit simply does not exist.

I will make a tutorial thread for the rom stuff. BOR tools I've not used much of in a long time so let me make a demo to get back up to snuff and I'll explain exactly how I made it.

thanks again, you're a champ.