Jump to content

(Request) Dreamcast "Tough Guy"


Eternal-Krauser
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Eternal-Krauser said:

Yes, it is, take a look:
 

 

I only have a surface level of understanding how a lot of these ports work, but I have some ideas.

 

I believe the Jazz Jackrabbit port is also a DOS port. Usually when I open the game image file for these sorts of ports what it comes down to is a directory structure, specific file naming, and an emulator set to auto launch a game.  Quite often I am able to simply swap out the game file with a new game file named the same as the original. So it might be possible to open up Jazz, take out the DOS game files and put in the files for Tough Guy. Maybe.

 

With JoshProd ports I've found quite a few of them can be made better using alternative emulators and pirated roms. I haven't got a Prod Dos port so I'm probably going to buy this one if it doesn't surface in a while because it seems to me like his DOS emulator is running really well compared to his prior ports. Maybe he's learning or found someone more knowledgeable to help him. Either way, remaking what he's doing but using opensource and pirate methods is a gamble and anything could come of it. Might run better, might run worse, might not run at all.

 

I'll give it a go but there's no need to wait on me. You can grab Jazz out of the ports section and Tough Guy from a litany of pirate joints and give it a go if you don't want to wait on me. It's really easy to do, just open of the cdi for Jazz and swap the games out then bootdreams it back together as a cdi.

 

That's how I started getting Amiga, SMS, NES, GB, GG, and Neogeo ports going. OpenBOR is harder and DOS might be too but it's probably just as easy as those others given it's just as early. I'll make a tool kit sometime but things like bootdreams and isobuster are not hard to find.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick update, 

 

Nope, not so easy to make your own port. I'm not sure which I'll buy first, might splurge and get 3 or 4 games at once, but, This one, Satrius Next, Alice Sisters, and Rocketron are all interesting for difference reasons and I want them all.

 

Tough Guy seems to running on an excellent emu, I want to see it

Orion did his own porting for Alice, I want to see how he did it.

Next was just a request I can't find

Rocketron's another one I'm just very curious to see how they ported it.

 

All are easily played on PC but that's no fun is it. If anyone else is looking to acquire let me know which ones you're gonna get so I can get different ones and we swap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GatorCountry said:

Quick update, 

 

Nope, not so easy to make your own port. I'm not sure which I'll buy first, might splurge and get 3 or 4 games at once, but, This one, Satrius Next, Alice Sisters, and Rocketron are all interesting for difference reasons and I want them all.

 

Tough Guy seems to running on an excellent emu, I want to see it

Orion did his own porting for Alice, I want to see how he did it.

Next was just a request I can't find

Rocketron's another one I'm just very curious to see how they ported it.

 

All are easily played on PC but that's no fun is it. If anyone else is looking to acquire let me know which ones you're gonna get so I can get different ones and we swap.

If your hypothesis is true, it would be worth investigating how their emulators work, being able to replicate other games in the same way could expand the DC game library exponentially.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2021 at 2:35 AM, Eternal-Krauser said:

If your hypothesis is true, it would be worth investigating how their emulators work, being able to replicate other games in the same way could expand the DC game library exponentially.

Quote

 

Exactly, I'm buying this game even if I do get it ported. I'm impressed with their port and want their files. It probably won't make porting any game easy, but it surely games porting more than just it easy. I've not ran into a single game+emu package that only runs the one game well.

 

I did guy Tough Guy running, but it's not nearly the quality they have it at. I downright need their files. So I'm buying it. I just need something to distract the wife to beable to spend money on myself so close to christmas.

I found out Piko is who handled this port, Prod is just publisher, which kind of explains how they got such good frames.

 

 

 

 

It proves the process works but this version of dosbox can't be what Piko/JoshProd is using. I'll try magic pockets for beast in a while. If you have another Dos game you're interested in trying it's pretty easy to see what I did but I'll give you some steps.

Open CDI, the files you want are the config, the Ip, and the 1st_read. Put those files in a folder and copy the game files to it as well. edit the config so that the directory and exe read the name of your new game and repack with bootdreams or some such similar

 

I've been gone a long time and this got a lot of ups while I was away. I edited it to make it more clear, this is a proof of concept. Not a very playable version. I'm trying to port more sorts of games than my current line of 8-bits.

 

To be SUPER clear. I've just bought the game, it's coming, I'll up the official rip soon, but, I'm still trying to learn how they did it so this thread will get a few versions over time. This particular version isn't even really an alpha, it's a proof of concept and that is it. Download at your risk, burn at your risk, play at your risk. I doubt it'll harm a DC and seriously doubt it'll harm a PC, but, this play really, really, poorly.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

  • Like 32
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GatorCountry said:

Exactly, I'm buying this game even if I do get it ported. I'm impressed with their port and want their files. It probably won't make porting any game easy, but it surely games porting more than just it easy. I've not ran into a single game+emu package that only runs the one game well.

 

I did guy Tough Guy running, but it's not nearly the quality they have it at. I downright need their files. So I'm buying it. I just need something to distract the wife to beable to spend money on myself so close to christmas.

I found out Piko is who handled this port, Prod is just publisher, which kind of explains how they got such good frames.

 

Here is my version alpha:

Hidden Content
  • Please login or register to see this link.

 

 

It proves the process works but this version of dosbox can't be what Piko/JoshProd is using. I'll try magic pockets for beast in a while. If you have another Dos game you're interested in trying it's pretty easy to see what I did but I'll give you some steps.

Open CDI, the files you want are the config, the Ip, and the 1st_read. Put those files in a folder and copy the game files to it as well. edit the config so that the directory and exe read the name of your new game and repack with bootdreams or some such similar

simply amazing, Mr. Gator!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

With Rocketron and Alice Sisters out I can probably whip up a better version than my previous. 

I don't have the PC I was using when I made that first go so I've had to download my own work again. 

 

I should have been more clear in the other post. I'll edit it. The current upload is just a proof of concept. It doesn't run at a playable speed.

 

Edit- Alice Sisters is a Game Maker port I believe. It'll be neat to see what other games I can trick it's ip.bin and 1st_read.bin to playing, but it won't be this one. I'll check out Rocketron's insides next and if that one isn't DOS based either we're a bit SOL until I get Tough Guy in myself. Which, I have ordered. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...