NextGenRoms

Wii U External HDD

Jackhammer

Question

I have a PAL CBHC Wii U. I have ripped a few of my games and installed to the NAND. I need an external HDD since the NAND is only 32GB.

1: Do I go for a portable HDD with a Y cable, or one with its own power supply?

2: Has anyone any suggestions on brands that are reliable?

3: Is it a waste of time using a USB stick instead of an HDD?

• Upvote 2

5 answers to this question

Hello, I can tell you that if you use a USB stick it may get damage over time due to the constant reading, once while playing BOTW stop working because of that, after it cool down it work properly again but certainly woulnd't recommend it.

As for the HDD I have only try with the Y-cable and so far has been working for almost two years. So I have no complains.

For brands I usually go for seagate they have been prove to be realiable in my experience since most my western digital have die. But I dont know about other brands.

Also I bought an 2.5" hdd and plug it into a case from aliexpress wich are cheap, if you get a 3.5" hdd you may need to buy one case with its own power supply cord.

Cheers.

• Upvote 3

On 8/25/2019 at 5:44 AM, Jackhammer said:

I was looking at taking a 120GB HDD out of a broken laptop, but I think it wont be enough space. I'm looking at converting a few Gamecube and Wii games so they appear on the main menu and can use the same HDD.

Well the one I use was 120gb and tbh it fill -almost- all my wii u needs (But no Wii nor GC games) so yeah aim a lil highter if you plan to keep around all those titles that are worth replaying and don't want to bother reinstalling over time.

It's been a while, anyway I ended up getting a refurbished 1TB WD portable HDD straight from Western Digital for £23. I use a Y-cable and have had no problems so far. As well as Wii-U games, I've tried Wii and GCN injects. I need a 128GB SD card for a RetroArch pack I grabbed from Usenet.