NextGenRoms

Is it me, or are PC games just boring now?

There are basically no good games any more...

I don't know about anyone else, but I have become extremely bored with PC games over the past year and now I can barely bring myself to play much of anything. There is no more being pulled into the games feeling. All companies have done over the past 5 years is mass produce the same game that has already flooded the market.

The Madden effect (As I call it) has finally come full circle. The madden effect is a term I refer to the madden series. All the Madden series does is, add a player, rearrange some play book moves, slap a new number on it, and then say it's a new game. But it's not new game it's the same exact game as the year prior.

I'm also tired of the1st person view/parkour, guns, and or zombies. There hasn't been anything special in the past 5 years. Because of what's happened to games, I actually have more of a desire and drive to play original xbox games..

Anyone else feel this way?

Edited by tlgamer
  • Like 6

Widen your horizon a little bit, try something new. Like indies or Hack'n'Slash.

There are people that see what's popular and just imitate it because they see it as a quick way to earn money than innovating something new that has a risk of being successful or not. That doesn't mean that innovation is dead, you just have to look deeper for it.

• Like 2

I think so, it's been a long time since I got hooked on a game in general that isn't some kind of competitive online game. It's remake or remaster or definitive edition or just plain copying/reproducing of old ideas it seems..

I've been looking into the visual novel genre more lately, because I can't find anything different. It's always this game is like X game, or..this game is inspired by X Y Z game. >_<

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RyouBakura said:

Widen your horizon a little bit, try something new. Like indies or Hack'n'Slash.

There are people that see what's popular and just imitate it because they see it as a quick way to earn money than innovating something new that has a risk of being successful or not. That doesn't mean that innovation is dead, you just have to look deeper for it.

Widen my horizon doesn't actually apply to me. I should have clarified that I have 559 PC games. Most people have never even heard of some of them. As you can see, I didn't just say games are boring from a single aspect. If you would like me to post my PC game library I will.

As far as mods are concerned 99% of them aren't even legal (Meaning the companies don't want their games modded) and Even though players blame the game company, Unauthorized mods and patches, edited files, software, console commands, and things like those, are what actually break the game and cause it to have more problems.

Edited by tlgamer

7 hours ago, tlgamer said:

Widen my horizon doesn't actually apply to me. I should have clarified that I have 559 PC games. Most people have never even heard of some of them. As you can see, I didn't just say games are boring from a single aspect. If you would like me to post my PC game library I will.

As far as mods are concerned 99% of them aren't even legal (Meaning the companies don't want their games modded) and Even though players blame the game company, Unauthorized mods and patches, edited files, software, console commands, and things like those, are what actually break the game and cause it to have more problems.

To tell you the truth I haven't play any 'new pc game' for a while, however I always go back to 'my' classic pc games from time to time, like Gothic, Gothic 2, Morrowind, Warcraft III, F.E.A.R., VTM Bloodlines and such. Now I kind of understand what do you mean that the companies don't create new ips and those that are out are just copy paste from previous versions, so I can't help you there but still, you should take your time off those games and enjoy those that are the best for you until that feeling of boredom from new games pass or at least until a truly new game catch your eye.

• Like 2

Ahh Gothic 1-2....the most rage inducing yet extremely fulfilling and addicting PC RPGs I've ever played in my life. Too bad about the other "Gothic" games..so bad.

Really all I play lately is Heroes of the Storm (League of Legends failed competitor), because I loved the Blizzard games so much and I like more simplified MOBA. 

I haven't been excited for a new PC game in a very long time though.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, fixagel said:

To tell you the truth I haven't play any 'new pc game' for a while, however I always go back to 'my' classic pc games from time to time, like Gothic, Gothic 2, Morrowind, Warcraft III, F.E.A.R., VTM Bloodlines and such. Now I kind of understand what do you mean that the companies don't create new ips and those that are out are just copy paste from previous versions, so I can't help you there but still, you should take your time off those games and enjoy those that are the best for you until that feeling of boredom from new games pass or at least until a truly new game catch your eye.

Everyone has game niches so they tend to favor certain types over others, but even that winds up going out the window 99% of the time because it's almost as if the AAA market wants to prevent descent games from being made/released. Or if the game does get made/released it's nothing of it's former self

Example 1: AM2R (Another Metroid 2 remake)

This is the hidden content, please
Nintendo waited until the entire game was remade before pulling the usual Copyright Infringement claim crap to remove it.

Example 2: Sacred 3 (It's bad when the makers of Sacred 2, ask the makers of Sacred 3, "WTF did you do to our game") Unfortunately UNBENDED never came to light"

Example 3: The elder scrolls series has completely gone down the toilet to the point where I refuse to capitalize the company name or any product they release. What's worse is that zenimax studios have already confirmed that The elder scrolls VI will be made with the same game engine as fallout 76. I've personally have never liked fallout 3, and I especially despise both fallout new vegas and fallout 4.

Example 4: World Of Warcraft. Blizzard has completely removed all RPG elements from the series. A game series that once forced players to rely on others to do a lot of things, has now been reduced to a single player game in all aspects. Another thing that pisses me is when something like this happens, World Of Warcraft Classic is supposed to be free to the people who have the current version of the game, however a price tag will most likely be put on it along with some cock and bull excuse as to why. If it's free I will play it, if they want money screw them. It's Blizzard they don't need to charge for a game that old. Especially World Of Warcraft.

Edited by tlgamer

^ Can't add much to that because I feel almost exactly the same way.

It's not just the AAA games too, Independent Devs are continually rehashing old classics like Metroid, Sonic, Castlevania..etc and selling them off as retro. When I saw how Stein's Gate Elite look visual novels to the next level, I was hooked. That's the way I want to see in new games, actual new ways of presenting content.

Thing is actual new games take years to make, and game devs can't afford to take 5+ years anymore since everything is so fast paced. Now with so many programs that let you throw games together like Unity and RPG Maker, people just chuck out crap and flood the market. -_- Steam just enabled it even more too.

6 hours ago, watyermelon said:

Capcom has been on a roll recently with RE2 Remake and DMC5. Sega's also porting over the Yakuza series to pc and they're great games.

Not to be rude but trying to say RE2 is a remake is the exact same thing as saying this version of Gauntlet

This is the hidden content, please
was a remake

RE2 for the game cube was an actual remake. The 2019 version of RE2 is not a remake, it's a re-imagined version of the game. DMC got flushed after part 2. Even part 2 was a little to repetitive. Yakuza series I could go either way on how I feel, because it's like the series cannot go in one direction which is both good and bad at the same time.

Edited by tlgamer

@tlgamer Yet that's what people call it. Resident Evil 2 Remake. Does the fact that it's doing things differently yet retelling the same story mean that the game is bad? Because it's different, old players who loved the original can still play it and get something new out of the experience.

Can you clarify what you mean by "DMC got flushed after part 2." Yeah dmc 2 was horrible, but the games after it were amazing. Especially dmc3. Dmc4 had it's faults, but was still a worthwhile experience. And Dmc5 which recently released was a blast as well.

Yakuza doesn't need to go in one direction, that's one of the things that makes it great. The fun in the franchise lies in all the side content and mini games. There's so much to explore and do. And after you get bored of that, you still have the main storyline waiting for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yakuza even did an Hokuto no Ken crossover. Thats how awesome the devs are. 

And regarding the topic I can only say that I see good gaming stuff on PC but I'm into fighting games mostly and those are released both on PC and consoles.
There is a lot of fun stuff on Steam for me unless we are talking here about exclusive PC games then I can't say much since I went to consoles years ago and did not have a decent PC to look through all that stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2019 at 6:40 AM, watyermelon said:

@tlgamer Yet that's what people call it. Resident Evil 2 Remake. Does the fact that it's doing things differently yet retelling the same story mean that the game is bad? Because it's different, old players who loved the original can still play it and get something new out of the experience.

Can you clarify what you mean by "DMC got flushed after part 2." Yeah dmc 2 was horrible, but the games after it were amazing. Especially dmc3. Dmc4 had it's faults, but was still a worthwhile experience. And Dmc5 which recently released was a blast as well.

Yakuza doesn't need to go in one direction, that's one of the things that makes it great. The fun in the franchise lies in all the side content and mini games. There's so much to explore and do. And after you get bored of that, you still have the main storyline waiting for you.

I'll address your reply in parts:

1. Everyone in a community naming a game or information something it's not is partly why gaming as a whole is in the state it's in. It's really irrelevant how many people call RE2 a remake, it's not a remake and never will be. Spreading misinformation around with excuses attached to it, is straight up idiotic. The only time RE2 has ever been remade was on the gamecube. So any time anyone mentions RE2 as a remake I will always refer to the gamecube version and I do not acknowledge the PC version as a remake because it's not.

2. The whole concept and premise of DMC was basically a new type of combat system with a story and different type of character that fit into the story. Most games write the story and then build the character around the story, then fit it into a game, DMC was not done like that. It had a very specific element in the same way the Resident Evil series had a very specific element which since has been ripped out and filled with other game elements that didn't belong. Dante's son...really! Also Ebony and Ivory were key elements to the original DMC as was the Devil trigger. In games after part 2 they started focusing on how to make the devil trigger look cooler and cooler. The game series has been turned into a three ring circus disguised as Shadow of the Colossus meets God Of War. And that's why people thought it was good. Capcom specifically made the game to appeal to the Shadow of the Colossus and God Of War crowd.

I hope that make sense now.

Edited by tlgamer

@tlgamer The thing you said about dmc is very interesting considering that dmc 3, which supposedly is "Shadow of the Colossus meets God Of War" SHOCK SHOCK came out before both of those games. The thing that makes devil may cry into devil may cry is the gameplay. It always has been. Also Dante's son? That just proves that you don't know what you're actually talking about. Yeah, they redesigned the devil trigger, but they also kept ebony and ivory in every game. People though it was good, because of the freedom in the gameplay. You decide just how you play it, what weapons you use, the different styles that you get to use. It wasn't made for the shadow of the colossus and god of war crowd, because IT PREDATED BOTH OF THEM. Also Resident Evil 2 2019 is in fact a remake. It doesn't matter if it's different. It was made as a resident evil 2 remake. If that's your opinion, then that's fine, just don't force it on others. The base of it is still and will always be the original re2. That's just the way it is. What did you want them to just remake the originals graphics and change nothing else? Use an emulator and upscale the resolution if that's all you want.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

^What he said.

I also want to add that at "some moment" in DMC3 they actually focused really, really close on Ebony and Ivory with the damn legendary Jackpot quote.
And how can you call a game that is remade from top to bottom while keeping the story mostly intact? A remake I think is a good term. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, watyermelon said:

@tlgamer The thing you said about dmc is very interesting considering that dmc 3, which supposedly is "Shadow of the Colossus meets God Of War" SHOCK SHOCK came out before both of those games. The thing that makes devil may cry into devil may cry is the gameplay. It always has been. Also Dante's son? That just proves that you don't know what you're actually talking about. Yeah, they redesigned the devil trigger, but they also kept ebony and ivory in every game. People though it was good, because of the freedom in the gameplay. You decide just how you play it, what weapons you use, the different styles that you get to use. It wasn't made for the shadow of the colossus and god of war crowd, because IT PREDATED BOTH OF THEM. Also Resident Evil 2 2019 is in fact a remake. It doesn't matter if it's different. It was made as a resident evil 2 remake. If that's your opinion, then that's fine, just don't force it on others. The base of it is still and will always be the original re2. That's just the way it is. What did you want them to just remake the originals graphics and change nothing else? Use an emulator and upscale the resolution if that's all you want.

If you're going to have any type of counter discussion with me then you are going to use correct grammar and the structure of how the English language dictates to do it. If you want to continue ignoring how the English Language requires things to be defined and used, and instead want to go by the mass consensus of the Internet, I'm just going to stop replying to you altogether because I don't have discussions with people who cannot even understand basic grammar.

1. As I said above, a good portion of the problem in games is gamer illiteracy. When it comes to grammar 98% of gamers are just lazy and uneducated. It absolutely matters, and is a big deal when some clown starts naming things incorrectly, and then all everyone does is copy them. Saying "Everyone calls it that and "it's your opinion" is outright ludicrous because that shows thew ignorance and illiteracy of just how uneducated the mass consensus of the Internet has made people.

2. The 2019 version of RE2 is a RE-RELEASE, not a remake. Everyone calling RE2 a remake instead of a re-release, is wrong because they're using the wrong word. The English Languages dictates that as a fact, not opinion. No amount of people saying otherwise will ever be right because English language is not wrong, anyone going against that is uneducated.

3. What I posted about Shadow of the Colossus and God Of War, was nothing more than an identifier so people can make an easy comparison and understand to what my point was, and not that DMC 3 copied them as you dictated I was doing.

Please get some grammar comprehension and stop using the mass consensus of the Internet's understanding to have a counter discussion with me.

@tlgamer You specifically stated that "Capcom specifically made the game to appeal to the Shadow of the Colossus and God Of War crowd." contradicts  "What I posted about Shadow of the Colossus and God Of War, was nothing more than an identifier so people can make an easy comparison and understand to what my point was, and not that DMC 3 copied them as you dictated I was doing." now doesn't it? A RE-RELEASE is when a game is released again on a different console. Get your head out of your ass and stop acting high and mighty. Also do some proper research when you stop talking shit about things that you clearly don't know anything about. You obviously know what I'm typing, so stop using my grammar as an excuse to avoid my clear and correct points. You're actually pathetic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, watyermelon said:

@tlgamer You specifically stated that "Capcom specifically made the game to appeal to the Shadow of the Colossus and God Of War crowd." contradicts  "What I posted about Shadow of the Colossus and God Of War, was nothing more than an identifier so people can make an easy comparison and understand to what my point was, and not that DMC 3 copied them as you dictated I was doing." now doesn't it? A RE-RELEASE is when a game is released again on a different console. Get your head out of your ass and stop acting high and mighty. Also do some proper research when you stop talking shit about things that you clearly don't know anything about. You obviously know what I'm typing, so stop using my grammar as an excuse to avoid my clear and correct points. You're actually pathetic.

Yes I did say that, and no it doesn't contradict anything, if you understood how to read properly you would understand how it's used for REFERENCE despite where it is in the sentence. Despite me explaining that you still continue rewording and changing the context of what I said into something it's not.

@tlgamer How did capcom make the game appear to the shadow of the colossus and god of war crowds when it came out before them? Answer that please. Also Dmc is nothing like Shadow of the Colossus. You'd have to be high to think that it is. I clearly understand how to read better than you. You just can't accept the fact that you goofed up, and you have to start acting all high and mighty. Also the developers of the game have stated that RE2 2019 is a remake. How do you counteract that? You just don't know what you're talking about and can't counter my points, so you start talking shit about my English. Grow up buddy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

What is even going on here?

He's just looking for an argument I'm not going to give him.

1. He's been explained several things he is incorrect on and does not want to except it.

2. Despite being explained exactly what was said and the context it's used in, he purposely keeps misreading, changing the context of what was posted, and continually tells people they've said something they didn't.

3. He was already told by me that if he wants to have any type of counter discussion with me, to use proper grammar and comprehension, and not the mass consensus the internet that totally disregards how language and grammar works.

4. He somehow has been led to believe that OFFICIAL information from Capcom isn't relevant and doesn't need to be included when talking about this subject matter.

Nothing I post seems to matter, he just wants to continue doing whatever he wants regardless. So until he wants to have an actual educated discussion, with facts, proper grammar and comprehension, and official information, There is no point in  replying to him any further.

Edited by tlgamer

@tlgamer You're talking about grammar, yet you've wrote things incorrectly multiple times. "He somehow has been led to believe that OFFICIAL information from Capcom isn't relevant and doens't need to be included when talking about this subject matter.". Then you go ahead and contradict yourself again with "So until he wants to have an actual educated discussion, with facts, proper grammar and comprehension, and official information, There is no point in  replying to him any further.". I gave you official information, which you ignored. Are you sure that you're not talking about yourself?

You're clearly a higher intellectual than me so I'm gonna stop responding to your incredible arguments, because my brain can't fathom them.

• Like 1