NextGenRoms

World Health Organization Officially Recognizes Gaming Addiction as a Disease

Badcam3

image.png.8b97620169e4498175b9f81a39e5f22a.png

The World Health Organization has been

This is the hidden content, please
, “Gaming Disorder,” and they’ve finally made a final decision on the classification.

The WHO has officially acknowledged the disorder this weekend, at the 72nd World Health Assembly. This means the organization will officially recognize gaming as a potentially addictive behavior.

The group defines gaming addiction for both offline and online gaming in a similar way. Both are “characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurring gaming behavior,” while online gaming is “primarily conducted over the internet” and offline gaming is clearly not.

The supposed disorder arises in three ways:

• Impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context)
  • Increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities
  • Continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

“The pattern of gaming behavior may be continuous or episodic and recurrent,” the WHO state. “The gaming behavior and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.”

Gaming regulatory bodies like the ESA and IGDA, as well as a multitude of professional psychologists, have all decried the WHO classifying gaming addiction as a clinical disorder.

Now that the WHO has recognized gaming addiction as a disorder, they have until 2022 to introduce new preventative measures and treatments, which I’m sure will be hilarious.

This is the hidden content, please

Edited by Badcam3
Hi Ravenstorm
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I hope they're all abducted by aliens and anally probed with no lube. Shrinks need to take a double-dose of whatever cures delusion, they think they can cure incurable mental disorders and are the craziest humans on the planet, certainly the most delusional.

This was bound to happen really.

I can understand why non-gamers would push for something like this, but let's face it, there are other everyday things that are way more addictive and probably quite dangerous. Using mobile phones all the time in public, the work place etc is probably up there. I sometimes feel the urge to grab phones off people and smash them, obviously I never actually do it though. I do have a lot of self control and have become a very patient person.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny for me it was never about the gaming, it's about being online and having an infinite amount of stuff to look at or read about. I think the internet really messed stuff up since people are online for practically everything now. For me the social aspect of the internet is crumbling though. It doesn't seem like people seek active friendships like the 2000-2010s. All posts I see everywhere is people just promoting themselves in selfies, streams, Facebook shares, tweets, etc. Forums are dwindling down because people just want quick instant satisfaction with zero effort.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, people irl that I haven't been in contact with for some time are kinda shocked I don't use facebook, twitter etc.

They nearly always assume I've donned the tinfoil hat at some point in my life 😆

It's all just rubbish imo, I despised it all from day 1.

I give out one of my main emails to such people, which they think is archaic, but whatever.

If they don't want to keep in contact that way it doesn't bother me. They're not really friends if they can't be bothered doing that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...